In this course, Natalia Segovia, an artist specialized in oil portraits, will teach us how to make a portrait «alla prima», that is, «the first time» since it is a direct painting technique consisting of modeling the shapes using colored brushstrokes applied directly to the canvas, without initial sketch or detailed drawing, and using the “wet-on-wet” method.
Natalia, thanks to her extensive teaching experience, will easily teach us to make a «robust» initial structure, based on the analysis of the anatomy of the person portrayed, the use of plans and the development of painting from the general point of view to the particular.
Natalia will show through her advice, the narration of her experiences and the implementation of a fundamental and, sometimes, unnoticed factor: «the resemblance does not have to be looked for», but it will necessarily appear and be shown to us when we take practice the appropriate method in a reflective and guided manner according to our rhythm.
In a particular way, through almost 5 hours of tutored videos, step by step and from beginning to end, we will see the following topics:
- Materials. Types of pigments and their interpretation. Color palette and tonal balance. Thinners and their correct use.
- Brief history of the portrait.
- Notions about anatomy.
- Choice of the reference and its vital importance to leave our mark on the portrait.
- Work from the general to the particular and its value for our consistency in execution.
- Adequate play of light, shadow and fillings.
- Personality, character and definition. Personal stamp